Sunday, March 07, 2010

Lucky number 13

I married Bill thirteen years ago today.

That choice, by far, has been the most important decision of my life.

Oh, how I love that man.

This year, we gave each other two gifts.  

The first one, a picture:



We've had our eye on this painting for several months now, and knew that we wanted it in our home.

It's by Julius Von Klever, an artist of the late 1800's.

We've really struggled finding a picture of Christ that we really love.  

We don't necessarily love a lot of the more recent artists' renditions of Christ.

But we both LOVE this painting.

The colors.  The symbolism.  The fact that it is a classic, older piece.

It moves me.  

Every single time I look at it.
~~~~~

The second gift, was the mutual accomplishment of a goal:

And boy, does it ever feel good!!

This past week we were able to finish Dave Ramsey's

BABY STEP 3!!!!!

We've done baby step 1 ($1000 emergency fund), and baby step 2 (no debt except mortgage)

And a few days ago, in time for our anniversary, we finally finished Baby Step 3 which is our 6 months emergency fund.  This fund would pay our mortgage, utilities, groceries, and gas for the car.  Essentially providing all necessities of life, for 6 months, in case Bill lost his job or other such emergency.

I am glad we were able to set this goal and work hard on it together.

It's a wonderful gift to give to a spouse on their 13th anniversary.

Or any anniversary for that matter.


9 comments:

'T' said...

beautiful pic. and CONGRATS for 13 years and baby step 3.

Cally Carlson said...

Congratulations on 13 years!
What an accomplishment to have a 6month emergency supply. I have to admit that Dave Ramsey's "baby steps" seem like great big leaps to me, but we are nonetheless working slowly toward freedom from debt. Thanks for the inspiration!

LGH said...

WOW, WOW, WOW. Great achievement to do baby step 1, 2, and now 3! Very impressive, indeed. And, I agree with you and Bill about the picture; it's is inspiring. You both so deserve it. Happy Anniversary!

Shawn and Megan Atwood said...

LOVE THAT PICTURE!!!! And congrats on baby step #3. How are you guys doing these baby steps so fast, you will probably be millionaires by next year at this rate!

MegJill said...

WOW!!! It is so wonderful that you have completed number 3 already!!! I am impressed. And inspired, again. Can you go to the grocery store with me to inspire me there too?
Your picture is beautiful. Happy 13th!!! We are on anniversary #9 and maybe by year 13 we will have step 3 completed! Darn student loans. Why is it so expensive to go to college?!

Mrs. Olsen said...

Holy fetch! FIRST...I spent all of October and November searching web-sites, Deseret Book, Seagull, Art Stores in the mall for a picture of the Savior that I love. Then on Black Friday, me and my mom walked into Deseret Book and found THAT PAINTING. I had never seen it in all the other DB's I visited and never seen it online. It was by far my absolute favorite, and it was on sale. I consider my first big "art purchase" and was loving the "1898" in the corner but couldn't find any more info on the artwork. What a freaking small world. We must be soul sistas.

And #2...I listened to D.Ramsey book on tape and we have about a #250 emergency fund. We are totally babystepping but you are inspiring me further. Way to go!

The Lane Family said...

First off Congratulations on your 13th Wedding Anniversary that is Awesome and it sounds like you have an amazing man to share eternity with and he has an amazing woman!!

Second...I absolutely LOVE that picture. I love the ocean and lighthouses and this picture with Christ in it is just so...words fail me. Where did you find it??

3rd- From reading your blog we have been working on some of the things you mentioned and we would really like to achieve that 3rd goal as well because having those things in place can give you the peace that you need in very difficult times.

Thanks you for sharing!!

Dana Williams said...

You are overwhelmingly amazing. How did you cook those beans in the crockpot? Seriously let me know, because I went out and bought a bunch hoping that you would give me the answer and that I could get cracking on making some freezer burritos.

The Teeples Times said...

Congrats on 13 years - impressive!! I love your picture, I'm not sure I've seen it before. Also, congrats on your 3rd "baby" step. I'd call that a huge leap not a baby step personally! I wish you both another 13 years of marital bliss!